From: Younes M (younes.m_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-22 19:39:48

On 3/22/07, Janek Kozicki <janek_listy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Stefan Seefeld said: (by the date of Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:22:43 -0400)
>
> > * to point out that a GUI frontend really is a frontend, and shouldn't include
> > any other logic (i.e. the whole becomes a multi-tier system)
>
> Will the GUI used work at least on linux and windows?
>
> I'm not sure about mac, but supporting linux usually is enough
> to get it working on mac.
>

> There are a few alternatives out there, like QT4 (GPL license)
> and wxwidgets (Free also), but maybe you want something else?

There was mention of having a MS Visual Studio addin. I've looked into
addins a bit and it seems to me that there are two approaches (at
least with MSVS2005), C++ with ATL, or a .Net language with WinForms.
Maybe the most reasonable solution would be to use C# for the bulk of
the frontend and simply have two targets, a standalone application and
an MSVS addin, each having a relatively small bit of glue code. With
Mono supporting WinForms very decently this could easily allow the
standalone application to run on other platforms. I personally have a
lot of experience with wxWidgets and GTK, and originally thought of a
cross-platform standalone application, but I think the C#/WinForms
combination might open up the most doors.