From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-23 11:24:53

Anthony Williams wrote:
> "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> An interlocked_read is stronger ('ordered') and more expensive than
>> needed
>> on a hardware level, but is 'relaxed' on a compiler level under MSVC
>> 7.1 (the optimizer moves code around it). It's 'ordered' for the
>> compiler as
>> well under 8.0; the intrinsics have been changed to be compiler
>> barriers as
>> well. InterlockedExchange is similar.
>
> Have you got a reference for that? I would be interested to read
> about the details; MSDN is sketchy.

The documentation for the intrinsics now states that they act as a compiler
barrier for 8.0.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1s26w950.aspx

The documentation that shipped with VC 7.1 did not, and in fact I have
observed the optimizer moving code across an interlocked intrinsic when I
developed the prototype of N2195.

>> A load_acquire can be implemented as a volatile read under 8.0, and a
>> volatile read followed by _ReadWriteBarrier under 7.1.
>
> Why don't you need the barrier on 8.0? You need something there in
> order to prevent the CPU from doing out-of-order reads (and stores),
> even if the compiler won't reorder things. In fact, looking at the
> assembly code generated, I believe you need more than a
> _ReadWriteBarrier in both cases, as it seems to be purely a compiler
> barrier, and not a CPU barrier.

On x86 all loads already have acquire semantics by default, and all stores
have release semantics. MSVC 8.0 extends a volatile load/store to have
acquire/release semantics (both hardware and compiler) on every platform,
including IA64.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/12a04hfd.aspx