From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-01 11:28:52

On May 1, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> Jeff Garland wrote:
>
>>> Are there tools to keep Subversion and CVS repositories
>>> synchronized? If
>>> that's the case the adaptation of the infrastructure to
>>> Subversion could
>>> take place in a development branch while your plan is carried out.
>>
>> Don't know, but I'm sure the infrastructure development can be
>> done in
>> parallel with just a little thought.
>
> I would expect that the switch to subversion itself takes only
> little time,
> and requires only little adjustment to existing infrastructure bits
> (automated
> checkouts and updates, checkin notifications, etc.).
> What takes a bit longer is the preparation of the move (but that
> can be done
> while a new release is still prepared from CVS), as well as some
> subsequent
> cleanup (directory reorganization, etc.) following the move.

We've been preparing for more than a month, and we've done it before.

> So, I don't see any need to keep two repositories in parallel, really.

It's a pain to keep two repositories in parallel. I, personally, will
not volunteer to do that work.

> I'd be curious to know how easy a switch from CVS to SVN with the
> current
> boost repository would be. Douglas, have you attempted to run
> cvs2svn or
> similar on the repository ?

Yes, of course. We've converted several repositories before,
including Boost. Up until yesterday, we had a full Boost SVN+Sandbox
SVN+Trac running on the OSL servers for testing purposes... now,
we're preparing to move the sandbox. I'll send an announcement for
the sandbox switchover "soon".

> How much work is needed before the transfer could happen ?

Most of the work is done. When we're ready to switch (and *after*
1.34.0 is out the door), we'll ask for a 24-hour window to make sure
we have enough time for the cvs2svn conversion and import (roughly 8
hours of crunching), and to deal with any issues that might crop up.

        - Doug