From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-02 09:25:17

On May 2, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Peter Dimov wrote:

> Doug Gregor wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's a pain. However, my experience with managing the 1.33
>> release series (and watching the 1.34 release series) tells me that
>> this is the right way forward. With each release, effort has gone
>> into bug-fixes for the release branch while HEAD has become the Wild
>> West, literally falling apart in the interim.
>
> I understand the reasoning. But consider the point of view of
> someone whose
> portions of HEAD are as stable as the 1.34 branch. He is now being
> punished
> for doing his job well.

I know. I, too, have a bunch of stable code on HEAD that is going to
be a pain to move over. To help ease this transition, I'll come up
with the appropriate "svn merge" commands to make it easy to pull
changes from HEAD into the development branch. Then, it should be
only a small matter to test them locally and commit them to the
development branch. If someone does cause problems with such a
commit, Subversion makes it very, very ease to revert those
changes... and we will.

        - Doug