From: Olaf Krzikalla (krzikalla_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-02 10:55:58

Hi,

Marc Mutz wrote:
> This is purely a quality of implementation issue, I know, and I have seen
> people sending patches for these things (incidentally, Debian people :), but
> I want to put in my voice from the trench that I'm disappointed that less and
> less of boost compiles w/o warnings. I for one think that this is a serious
> issue, and I encourage you to accept such patches (not for 1.34.0, obviously,
> but 1.34.1) and make it a release goal for 1.35 (or 1.34.1) to reduce the
> number of warnings to a decent level.
I strongly second that point of view. Starting with 1_33_0 we had to
made our boost branches here just to get rid of some of the most
annoying warnings. E.g. gcc warns about local variable names hiding
other variables or function names (e.g. in
date_time\posix_time\posix_time_config.hpp:85, 'ticks').
These sorts of warnings are easily avoidable.

> Maybe change the regression tests to
> highlight any kind of compiler diagnostics in <pick your favorite color>.
Or do it the hard way: treat warnings as errors.

Best regards
Olaf Krzikalla