From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-04 16:37:02

>>> I'm not sure how relevant that is. If X.hpp contains
>>> serialization-related code, it surely needs to include serialization
>>> header files, too, to drag in any relevant declarations. Thus there is a
>>> dependency from X to serialization.
>>
>> You need no declarations because the serialization is implemented as a
>> function template:
>>
>> class foo;
>>
>> template<class Archive>
>> void serialize(Archive & ar, foo & x, const unsigned int version)
>> {
>> ar & x.bar;
>> }
>>
>> The above code compiles without including any boost serialization
>> headers.
>>
>> I have not used boost serialization (I have my own serialization
>> library),
>> but as far as I can see the reason why foo.hpp that uses boost
>> serailization needs to include serialization headers, is to be able to
>> use
>> BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT.
>
> If you serialize classes with base classes, you need to include
> base_object.hpp, and if you want your serialization to be
> compatible with XML archives, you have to include nvp.hpp,
> so it's not possible to completely avoid including serialization headers.
>
>> For me this is good enough reason not to use
>> BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT.
>
> If you're about to serialize derived classes via
> pointers to base classes, BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT is pretty much a must.

BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT is designed to make the necessary registrations
automatic, but in doing so it introduces physical coupling that is
undesirable for anyone who includes a particular class' header but does not
need to serialize objects of that class.

I also think that having BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT deduce the persistent class name
automatically inhibits maintainability, as any refactoring that changes
class names would break all serialized data. I prefer having one place in my
program where I register all classes with their persistent names, so I can
make separate decisions when to rename classes and when to change persistent
names.

Emil Dotchevski