From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-08 10:03:48

On Mon, 07 May 2007 20:06:39 +0300, "Yuval Ronen"
<ronen_yuval_at_[hidden]> said:
> Do you think that this functionality (of
> thread_pool/dispatchers/asio::io_service) should be in Boost.Thread?
> IMHO, it sounds as if it has more to do with "multi-threading policy"
> than "I/O (sync or async)".

The run()/post() functionality of io_service cannot be moved out of
asio, because the implementation of it is tied to the underlying
asynchronous I/O mechanism. However, I'm sure you could distil a
"dispatcher" concept from it and reimplement this concept to provide a
range of different execution guarantees (e.g. FIFO, LIFO etc).

Cheers,
Chris