From: Jared McIntyre (jmcintyre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-08 12:42:52

Andy <atompkins <at> fastmail.fm> writes:

< snip >

> > A good, cross-platform, UUID library is extremely useful. Without the
> > guaruntee of uniqueness provided by MAC address + time, it isn't as
> > useful for my situation. We have data generated across a large number
> > of disconnected computers (I highly doubt there would see a duplicate,
> > but in my case, we can't take the risk).
>
> This could also be done in a way using the name-based guid create
> function.
>
> See http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/154791

I thought about that, and for most people I think this would work well.
The most obvious way would be to use the computer name, since that is
usually unique. However, in my weird situation, we have computers all over
the world, and they all have the same name. So, I'd have to come up with
another way to get a unique name. We would most likely just keep using the
same mechanism we have now.

I do like what you have done so far, my situation is a bit on the extreme
side with our uniqueness requirements.

Jared