From: Andy (atompkins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-08 14:14:14

Jared McIntyre <jmcintyre_at_[hidden]> wrote in

> Andy <atompkins <at> fastmail.fm> writes:
>
> < snip >
>
>> > A good, cross-platform, UUID library is extremely useful. Without
>> > the guaruntee of uniqueness provided by MAC address + time, it
>> > isn't as useful for my situation. We have data generated across a
>> > large number of disconnected computers (I highly doubt there would
>> > see a duplicate, but in my case, we can't take the risk).
>>
>> This could also be done in a way using the name-based guid create
>> function.
>>
>> See http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/154791
>
> I thought about that, and for most people I think this would work
> well. The most obvious way would be to use the computer name, since
> that is usually unique. However, in my weird situation, we have
> computers all over the world, and they all have the same name. So, I'd
> have to come up with another way to get a unique name. We would most
> likely just keep using the same mechanism we have now.
>
> I do like what you have done so far, my situation is a bit on the
> extreme side with our uniqueness requirements.
>
> Jared

Maybe this solution will never work in your situation, I'm not sure. But
the 'unique computer name' could be the mac address instead of the
computer name. If not, I would expect that there is some piece of
information that is unique for each of your machines that you could use.
But maybe not.

I hope that one day this library will have a solution for you.

Andy.