From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-09 14:20:25

Larry Evans wrote:

> To build with just cmake change directory into where you want the
> binaries to be placed.
>
> which implies to me that the user would have to create
> those build directories himself and then specify in,
> I guess, a CMakeList.txt file, what compiler to use.
>
> Is that right?

FWIW, that's the typical GNU (autotools) build system procedure:
You create a build directory, run $(srcdir)/configure from there,
specifying any build options, and then 'make'.

Thus, different build variants would all end up in distinct
build directories, outside the source directory they were build from
(and are dependent on).

This approach is very natural for people working with autoconf / make.

FWIW,
                Stefan