From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-09 15:17:33

Doug Gregor wrote:
> On May 9, 2007, at 2:53 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>> Doug Gregor wrote:

>>> ... and it works better for the CMake model, where one generates
>>> build rules for a specific environment (makefiles, VC++ solutions,
>>> XCode projects, etc.).
>> Speaking of that, another requirement:
>>
>> * Must be able to directly build, test, run commands, etc. without
>> having to inject the generation of external build files into the
>> process.
>
> I don't understand this requirement. Are you saying that something like:
>
> configure
> make
>
> Does not meet the build-system requirements?

What I'm saying is that this doesn't meat the requirement:

cd boost-root-nmake-vc80
cmake --use-nmake-vc80 ..\boost-root
NMAKE
NMAKE test
NMAKE install
cd boost-root-nmake-vc71
cmake --use-nmake-vc71 ..\boost-root
NMAKE
NMAKE test
NMAKE install
cd boost-root-gmake-gcc345
cmake --use-gmake-gcc345 ..\boost-root
gmake
gmake test
gmake install

Why should we give up the current:

cd boost-root
bjam msvc-8.0 test install
bjam msvc-7.1 test install
bjam gcc-3.4.5 test install

(ignoring that those could be done in one command for comparison sake)

?

The *only* benefit I see from using generation system like cmake, or
wxWidget bakefile, is for end users where the Boost release manager
creates a bunch of makefiles, nmake files, vc project files, etc. and
hence the user doesn't have to use cmake, or bakefile.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything