From: Bill Hoffman (bill.hoffman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-09 15:50:07

Rene Rivera wrote:

> What I'm saying is that this doesn't meat the requirement:
>
> cd boost-root-nmake-vc80
> cmake --use-nmake-vc80 ..\boost-root
> NMAKE
> NMAKE test
> NMAKE install
> cd boost-root-nmake-vc71
> cmake --use-nmake-vc71 ..\boost-root
> NMAKE
> NMAKE test
> NMAKE install
> cd boost-root-gmake-gcc345
> cmake --use-gmake-gcc345 ..\boost-root
> gmake
> gmake test
> gmake install
>

> Why should we give up the current:
>
> cd boost-root
> bjam msvc-8.0 test install
> bjam msvc-7.1 test install
> bjam gcc-3.4.5 test install
>
> (ignoring that those could be done in one command for comparison sake)

This can be easily added to cmake, and it can be done already with a
ctest script similar to the ones we use to drive the dart clients.
Something like:

ctest -S boost.msvc-8.0.cmake
ctest -S boost.msvc-7.1.cmake
ctest -S boost.gcc-3.4.5.cmake

(The code exists in cmake to drive all of the compilers and tool sets
that cmake supports. This is used by ctest, and the try_compile/try_run
code in CMake.)

> The *only* benefit I see from using generation system like cmake, or
> wxWidget bakefile, is for end users where the Boost release manager
> creates a bunch of makefiles, nmake files, vc project files, etc. and
> hence the user doesn't have to use cmake, or bakefile
This, on the other hand, CMake does not do. Users are required to
install cmake to be able to build. However, after installing and
running CMake, users are able to use the build tool they are most
familiar with. I am currently using gmake with the visual studio 2005
compiler, other people use nmake, others choose the vs IDE, Xcode and
KDevelop are also supported.

-Bill