From: K. Noel Belcourt (kbelco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-09 18:22:58

On May 9, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Doug Gregor wrote:

> On May 9, 2007, at 4:33 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>> Which brings up the point, or maybe it was already mentioned,
>> that any new technologies we consider, we have to consider the within
>> Boost expertise available to maintain the new system.
>
> Yes, definitely. The same consideration applies to Boost.Build
> version 2... how much expertise is there to maintain this system? As
> far as I know, only 2 people have any level of understanding of BBv2.
> I, personally, struggle to do anything that isn't copy-paste from
> something I've done earlier. Is there anyone outside of Boost that
> understands BBv2 at any level?

Hi Doug,

Our organization has some experience with it. We recently adopted
BBv2 as the primary development tool for the Sierra mechanics codes.
As part of moving to BBv2, we jettisoned 37 build systems (36 third
party build systems plus our own) and replaced them all with a single
integrated build system, Boost Build. So while we definitely lack
the experience of the primary developers, we found the transition to
BBv2 easier than expected and it required only occasional help from
the mailing list when we hit roadblocks.

-- Noel