From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-15 04:58:35

Kim Barrett wrote:
> So basically there is a bit of a mess in the iostreams library. I'm
> volunteering to help clean it up. I'm planning to put together a patch
> to the trunk, and another patch to the RC_1_34_0 branch, such that
>
> * changes that are presently only on the RC_1_33_0 or RC_1_34_0 branch
> are merged to trunk
>
> * changes that are presently only on the RC_1_33_0 branch are merged
> to the RC_1_34_0 branch.

Good, thanks for volunteering to do this.

> Some issues / questions:
>
> * I can test these changes against a couple of versions of gcc. I
> can't test against anything else. So I'll need help with that.

I can test with a variety of Windows compilers if that helps.

> * Somebody else should probably review the patches.

Post them to the list, and someone will try and look over them.

> * I don't have commit privilages, so someone else will need to take
> care of that step.

Will do.

> * Thomas would of course need to approve any changes to the RC_1_34_0
> branch. The library including the changes on the RC_1_33_0 branch
> tested as part of the 1.33.x series of releases, but testing with
> those changes stopped once testing resources were redirected away from
> that series. So there is some risk that some of these changes might
> prove incompatible with other parts of the 1.34.0 release. From a
> quick skim, that doesn't look to likely, but it is a risk.

We'll try and get them well tested, before going into cvs.

> * Obviously 1.34.0 has gone out. So any changes on the RC_1_34_0
> branch would only be picked up by a 1.34.1 release.

Or 1.35 :-)

One other question: some of the patches fix a memory leak right? Do we have
a new test case to try and catch this (assuming it's possible to devise
one)?

Many thanks for offering to help sort this out.

John.