From: Jake Voytko (jakevoytko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-16 22:44:44

Paul wrote:
> I agree with John's (usually unerring) instinct on this.
>
> Although SVG is being used for other fancy pictorial graphic jobs, I suspect there are good tools that output SVG already, and they
> have a head start.
>
> So although it would have been sensible to start off by writing an SVG DOM class, and using C++ to write the graphics tools, I fear
> the best moment may have already passed.
>
> So I would put the priority on getting some simple graphing tools - for which there is a pressing and unfulfilled need.

I agree with the general sentiment that it'd be a shame to have all of
the work go into a SVG class and not have it usable and extensible by
a more generic crowd. The way I see it, giving it no treatment would
require no effort, giving it an interface similar to the SVG_GRAPH
class would require a little effort, but not inordinate, and treating
the issue properly (DOM support, full SVG suite base) would take
*quite* a bit of time, given the timeframe. If the demand's there,
I'll spend more time working on the SVG side of things, but in my
discussions in the past, as well as this thread, it seems like the
*real* need is for graphing ability. In the intervening weeks between
now and the start of the coding portion of GSoC, I'll toy around with
a few different ideas I have and see which one I feel is reasonable

> I'm sure a proper SVG DOM would be a fun project - next years GSoC? ;-))

Or potentially a side-project for me following GSoC ;)

Jake