From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-18 10:56:24

Hi Earnes,

On 5/18/07, Eames, Andrew <andrew_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I've been quietly watching this discussion with some interest since I
> have invested time of my own in the past few years building portable
> build systems.
> I currently use a gmake-based build system - with careful crafting this
> can support "plug-in" compiler environments as well as support for
> "trivial" makefiles.
> Gmake is widely available on multiple platforms as well as being an
> off-the-shelf solution. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm curious as
> to why no-one has suggested this as an option

Gmake is the same sa GNU Make right?

Not to throw dirt at GNU Make, but it's just too hard and too painful
to maintain complex project builds with it. Whether by hand or with
auto-tools.

Compare that to the trivial Jamfiles that are smart enough to figure
out what to do when you say:

exe main : main.cpp ;

And be cross-platform right off the bat.

Hope this makes sense.

--
Dean Michael C. Berris
http://cplusplus-soup.blogspot.com/