From: Anthony Williams (anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-18 12:21:08

"Dean Michael Berris" <dmberris_at_[hidden]> writes:

> If there was ever a direct comparison between a Makefile and a
> Jamfile, then I'd like to see a link. If there isn't one yet, please
> let me try to give one trivial comparison between the Makefile and
> Jamfile -- one Makefile generated by hand, and another Jamfile
> generated by hand.
>
> Makefile:
>
> CC=g++
> CFLAGS=-Wall
>
> %.o: %.cpp
> $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $^
>
> main: main.o some_other_file.o
> $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $< $^

That's overly verbose: most of these rules are built in to make.

My simple makefile says:

main: main.cpp some_other_file.cpp

> Jamfile:
>
> exe main : main.cpp some_other_file.cpp ;
>
> Like I said, apples and oranges. ;-)

;-)

Simple projects are easy with make, and easy with Boost Build. From what I've
seen, complex projects are complex with both, too.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams
Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk