From: Bill Hoffman (bill.hoffman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-18 12:55:06

Anthony Williams wrote:

> Simple projects are easy with make, and easy with Boost Build. From what I've
> seen, complex projects are complex with both, too.

I don't agree. Creating a makefile that works with one type of compiler
is not too hard if you only want
to work on one platform. However, I would like to see the "easy
makefile" that builds shared libraries on
OSX, windows, linux, hp, sun, IRIX, and QNX, and supports multiple
compilers on each of those platforms.
Both CMake and bjam can create a shared library like that with a very
simple input file. In CMake, it is

add_library(foo SHARED foo.cxx)

CMake also provides a mechanism for system introspection, so you can
program to the canonical machine,
and have ifdefs in your code based on features and not systems. make
by itself can not do any of that.

-Bill