From: Dean Michael Berris (dmberris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-18 15:00:57

Hi Darren!

On 5/18/07, Darren Garvey <lists.drrngrvy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi Dean,
>
> On 18/05/07, Dean Michael Berris <dmberris_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > Those interested in being part of the project, please email me your
> > sourceforge usernames so that I can add you up.
>

> This project has come up at just the right time. There will certainly be
> some overlap between the proposed library and the library I'm working on for
> the GSoC (a CGI library). I've been trying very hard to imagine how the
> library can be structured so that HTTP and other protocols can in theory be
> incorporated later on.

We can help with the imagining I think... I'm writing it down (my
thoughts) on paper (err, in my case a Wiki) as well how I think the
protocol libraries can work together by accepting and creating a
common message type which (among other things) includes information
about the messages to be sent/received over the network.

This will use extensive parsing libraries/implementations that use
either spirit or proto to convert from string form (stuff that comes
from the network) into a 'message' object and the other way around --
from a message object to a valid message depending on the protocol
chosen.

This should allow other libraries to "just recognize and deal with the
message class/object" and work together and build on top of each
other.

> A networking and a CGI library are definitely distinct, but (IMHO) both
> could really benefit from being interoperable and reusing code. I'm trying
> to get my ideas down on paper at the moment; when they're done I'll put them
> on the boost wiki (http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/soc/2007/cgi). If
> you (or any others) have suggestions to help interoperability or see any
> glaring flaws or crude assumptions I've made which hamper it, please tell
> me! :)

Sweet! Okay, please let us know, I'm definitely interested in
collaborating and making the libraries work better together!

> Thanks,
> Darren

Thank you too! :)

--