From: Ulrich Eckhardt (doomster_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-18 16:00:50

On Friday 18 May 2007 14:02:18 Johan Torp wrote:
> Will boost signals and slots be moved to header files in the future?
>
> Isn't it a policy to keep libraries in header files, if possible, or
> is it up to the library authors?
>
> In http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2003/08/50815.php, the
> possibility of adding a macro to boost/config.hpp, which basically
> would result in including .cpp-files from headers, is mentioned. Are
> there any plans of adding such a macro or is it a bad idea?

Doing that would effectively declare all code inline, possibly causing massive
code bloat and compile time increase. I don't think its a good idea.

Attached is a file. Copy it to the boost/signals folder and include it from
exactly one translation unit of your program. All it does is make an
on-demand compiled, statically linked library.

BTW: I have the same for Boost.Thread here, though it requires a patch to one
file, and intend to attempt the same for other libraries requiring linking,
too.

HTH

Uli