Boost logo

Boost :

From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-20 14:56:18

on Wed May 16 2007, Piyo <> wrote:

> I am open to any form of solution whether it be macro-based or bcp or
> Xerces style. I just find it sad that I am stopping 1.34 from entering
> our company on purpose because I do not think that adding to our
> existing 1.32 and 1.33.1 installations will help. Is there anyway we can
> get the core boost developers to look into this?

It's an important problem (it's been raised several times), but that
said, what do you think the core boost developers can "look into" that
you can't? Most of the core devels are probably not as familiar with
the problem as you are.

My suggestion is that you write up a concrete proposal for what we
should do, what the consequences are, and how it should be used, and
post it to this list. We'll discuss it. Once semi-stable it should go
on a wiki, and we'll have to decide if it should be adopted.

There are many different tools you could use to approach this, in
various combinations, with different implications:

  namespace aliases
  using declarations
  using directives
  nested namespaces

I'd want to see that you had considered all the viable permutations
and chosen the best one.

> Since I am the only boost-evangelist here, I can't imagine me
> stopping progress over something like this.
> HELP!! :)

What can we do to help?

Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Boost list run by bdawes at, gregod at, cpdaniel at, john at