From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-25 09:37:37

troy d. straszheim wrote:

> So where should that stuff go? I'm accustomed to having "sandbox"
> identify a free-form area. 'sandbox-branches' isn't appropriate
> either. I think the current sandbox should actually be a subdirectory
> of sandbox called "projects".

In boost itself libraries live next to each other (in terms of file system
layout). Thus, a sandbox project could be looked at as a single library stored
'out-of-place'. The build system should support referring to an existing
boost tree for the 'official boost' dependencies, such that the sandbox
project only needs to provide new or updated files, but not a whole copy
of boost-mainline.

> Here's another thing. The layout of the sandbox currently does not
> support independent versioning of projects, e.g., the author of
> library A has no way to create a branch/tag of A independently of
> library B. You have to branch the entire sandbox.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'support'. With subversion, branching
(and tagging) is just a matter of making a copy of the tree you want
to branch. It's all about conventions. Thus, you can 'branch'
inside your sandbox project just fine.

Regards,
                Stefan