From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-25 09:24:20

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 10:39:33AM -0500, Rene Rivera wrote:

> Yes, that's the structure for the sandbox
> <http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BoostSandbox>.

Whoops. Sorry about mussin' the dirs. Apologies for not having seen
that page before.

So where should that stuff go? I'm accustomed to having "sandbox"
identify a free-form area. 'sandbox-branches' isn't appropriate
either. I think the current sandbox should actually be a subdirectory
of sandbox called "projects".

Here's another thing. The layout of the sandbox currently does not
support independent versioning of projects, e.g., the author of
library A has no way to create a branch/tag of A independently of
library B. You have to branch the entire sandbox. So you can
envision a structure:

projects/
  a/
    trunk/
    branches/
      somebranch/
      otherbranch/
    tags/
      somerelease/
      otherrelease/
  b/
    trunk/
    branches/
      somebranch/
      otherbranch/
    tags/
      somerelease/
      otherrelease/
 (...)

Where each of the trunk, branches/*/, tags/*/, dirs contain the
standard tree

  boost/
    a/
  libs/
    a/
      src/
      docs/
      test/

This enables one to create a directory (in the free-form type sandbox,
wherever that turns out to be) of the sandbox projects you're
watching:

% svn pg svn:externals .

a https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/projects/a/trunk
b https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/projects/b/trunk
c https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/projects/c/trunk
d https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/projects/d/tags/stable-release

Which shows svn:externals in a new light. The use case "I use svn
update to see if there is anything new in the sandbox" works. It also
opens up clean ways to support a all kinds of other use-cases, like "i
want to restrict commit access to certain branches of various projects
because it is release time and I am the release manager". and "I want
to create a distribution of boost containing only certain components
at certain revisions". But that's another story.

Anyhow let me know what you think about moving

  sandbox => sandbox/(something).

-t