From: Phil Richards (news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-02 08:39:21

On 2007-06-02, AlisdairM <alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I wonder if there is an easy way to add something to
> explicit-failures-markup.xml when it is known a library will be
> 'out-of-use' for extended periods of time?
>
> [Downside would be we don't want to encourage this if we want to
> support more frequent releases]

I would have thought that the obvious(!) thing to do (after the move to
subversion, when such thinhgs will be easier) is to say that when there
is a breaking change to an interface that other libraries rely on, then
that work *must* be carried out on a branch, and that branch is only a
candidate for merging back to the trunk when all affected libraries have
been updated.

Yes, this might be annoying for the person making the change, but not
half as annoying as having releases from the trunk blocked because some
maintainer of an affected library is not able to immediately address
the issue. (And this should be *expected* to be the case.)

phil

--
change name before "@" to "phil" for email