From: Henrik Sundberg (storangen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-05 15:31:02

2007/6/4, troy d. straszheim <troy_at_[hidden]>:
> My workspace (CVS HEAD) contains some svn:externals that look like
> this:
>
> iostreams https://svn.boost.org/svn/projects/iostreams/trunk
> variant https://svn.boost.org/svn/projects/variant/trunk
> date_time https://svn.boost.org/svn/projects/date_time/trunk
> (etc)
>
> which means the code layout looks like that above. When I svn update,
> each of those subdirectories are updated recursively. I can make one
> commit across multiple projects.

No, commits don't pass into externals.
>From http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.advanced.externals:
The support that exists for externals definitions in Subversion today
can be a little misleading, though. First, an externals definition can
only point to directories, not files. Second, the externals definition
cannot point to relative paths (paths like ../../skins/myskin). Third,
the working copies created via the externals definition support are
still disconnected from the primary working copy (on whose versioned
directories the svn:externals property was actually set). And
Subversion still only truly operates on non-disjoint working copies.
So, for example, if you want to commit changes that you've made in one
or more of those external working copies, you must run svn commit
explicitly on those working copies—committing on the primary working
copy will not recurse into any external ones.

/$