From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-05 19:58:48

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>> I think you have to change the process at least enough so that a stable
>> branch is always maintained and developers can test their library's
>> development branch on deman against the stable branch. The current
>> "wild-west" problems in the trunk would not go away just because the
>> testing system worked better, was more responsive, etc.
>
> I don't quite agree. I strongly believe people would be more responsive to
> failure notification if these reports would
>
> 1) be more reliable
> 2) provide more information about the failure (and context)
> 3) be more timely, to provide stronger evidence as to the likely cause

FWIW I agree with both of you ;-). I think Beman is right in saying that they won't go
away. At the same time I think they would be a lot less severe given Stefan's conditions.
This goes back to my theory that people do boost part time and usually have a (somewhat)
fixed time budget for that. We are left with the choice of having them spend their time
tying to figure out how things work or having them do actual productive work. You might
even argue that productive work is more fun so they are more likely to extend their time
budget.

Thomas

--
Thomas Witt