From: Phil Richards (news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-10 11:50:06

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:49:49 +0200, Henrik Sundberg wrote:

> 2007/6/7, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>:
>>
>> on Thu Jun 07 2007, "Henrik Sundberg" <storangen-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I got the same impression as David. This was highlighted as something
>> > special to GIT.
>> > /$
>> It would be good to get a definitive answer about that.
> The GitFaq for "Why does git not track renames?" says:
[...]

Yes, but this is substantially different from being able to *track*
fragments being moved. Of course, if we are talking about *large*
fragments, then, yes, it works. If we are talking about a single 10 line
function being moved between two 1000 line long files, then, no, it does
not track it in any real sense.

I would classify "deals correctly with fragments of code moving across
files" as being automatically able to apply a change made in one branch
to that 10 line function after it has been moved to another file in a
different branch. I'm pretty sure that no state-based analysis of files
could do that... (which is all that GIT does, can do, or wants to do).

What GIT will allow you to do is do a search for fragments of files, and
identify where they appear... it's not quite the same thing.

pihl

--
Change name before @ on From: to phil for direct email.