From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-15 13:49:16

Boris Gubenko wrote:

> There used to be a problem in EDG frontend with macro expansions
> taking forever. It was reported years ago by a customer using Boost
> on Tru64.
> We've reported it to EDG and it has been fixed.

Yep, I've tracked it down to the meta-programming rather than the
preprocessing though.

> aCC6 on HP-UX compiles testcase in
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/1054 in 7 seconds. This
> compiler is using EDG Version 3.08.

Slow, but OK.

> cxx on Tru64 compiles it in ~20 sec. This compiler is using EDG
> Version 3.04.

Well at least it gets there in the end :-)

> Perhaps, Intel compiler you are using is using some old version of
> EDG fronend.

No it's EDG version 3.06. Strange. When I get a chance I'll try the latest
Intel-10 compiler (EDG 3.08) and see how that copes. Either way, I think I
now have a workaround that doesn't use Boost.Parameter at all, and will
*hopefully* be faster to build with all compilers!

Thanks for trying this out, John.