From: Stjepan Rajko (stipe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-15 18:52:18

On 6/15/07, Manuel Fiorelli <manuel.fiorelli_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Thank you Stephan,
> I followed your step-by-step procedure and successfully build my project
> outside boost directories. For my test I use this Jamfile
[snip jamfile]

You are very welcome! Glad it helped.

> When you write
> project boost/my_library
> do you mean to define a library inside the project boost???

I think it's just to give the project a name... projects can be
hierarchical so you can have "project" as your root project, and then
"project/docs" etc for your subprojects. The lib I stole this from
probably had the top project "boost/whatever" so I just kept the
format.

> It seems that the fundamental line is use-project boost, because when I
> eliminate it, I got the following error

Cool, good to know.

> I hope to have time to study closer Boost.Build and, moreover, to write a
> decent library for Boost project..

If that's what you're planning to do, I would suggest checking out the
boost sandbox from the subversion repository:

http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BoostSubversion

There are lots of projects there that you can learn from by example
(regarding boost.build). Also, I've been working on a little script
that generates starting project layouts from a template, which you can
try out if you'd like. I just recently updated it to work on
non-windows platforms (after finding out it only worked on windows and
python 2.5, yikes!!). I've since tested it on OS X and tuned it to
work with Python 2.3.

If you check out the sandbox, you can find the template under the
template-under-construction directory, and if you go there and run:

python make_template.py sandbox

, it should ask you a few questions (your name and the name of your
library) and generate a sample project tree with working (hopefully)
builds for docs, examples and tests. If something doesn't work please
let me know and I'd be happy to fix it.

More info on the template is at:

http://dancinghacker.com/code/template/

Best regards,