From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-20 14:58:25

Matias Capeletto wrote:
> On 6/20/07, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Matias Capeletto wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Rovert,
>>>
>>> I have give it more than one thought to it. Iostream navigation
>>> style use frames. Frames are not part of XHTML because they cause
>>> lot of troubles.
>>> We have implemented a new navigation approach based on GropedLinks
>>> () select boxes. Look at the top-right corner of the page:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/22sja5
>>
>> I didn't see anything at the top-right hand corner of the page.
>
> Browser?

sorry, all I'm seeing is a nice green rectangle above the words "Search
Boost"
and a right pointer arrow that displays the word "Next" when the pointer
is placed over it.

>> But I - assuming that the table of contents is automatically
>> generated from the *.qbk documents - it seems to me that the table
>> of contents page
>> is almost what I want. All you have to do is:
>>
>> a) put it in a separate pane so it can be used to navigate around the
>> documentation.
>> b) add in the code - already written by J. Turkanis and tested by
>> several of us on different browsers.
>
> IMHO working with frames is not the right direction. We can
> investigate iframes, a module of XHTML 1.1 but for now is it out of
> the scope of the proposal.

Well, I certainly don't want to be guilty of promoting scope creep.
Though I would menention that frames have been a part of standard
html forever and documentation for many boost libraries have them
for just this purpose.

The usage of javascript is a little more problematic in that it depends
on the particular case. In the case of J.Turkanis navigator control
this was discussed at some length and the final consensus seemed to
be that this was an acceptable and useful tool.

>> I really like the expand/contract feature that the javascriptcontrol
>> provides- though if I had to I
>> could probably live without it. I would think that it would be an
>> optional "add-on" that not everyone else has to use.
>
> Can you get Firefox, Opera or IE7 to see the GroupedLinks select boxes
> and see if that is enough for now.

I think I'm running IE7. At least it seems so as it crashes from time to
time.

Robert Ramey