From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-29 16:16:42

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 20:47 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Eric Niebler wrote:
> >
> > My impressions of the first annual Boost Conference are now online at
> > The C++ Source for your reading pleasure. Enjoy!
> >
> > http://www.artima.com/cppsource/boost_con_07.html
>
> "Boost may in the near future join the Software Freedom Conservancy,
> an umbrella organization of Free and Open Source Software projects. The
> Conservancy gives free financial and administrative services to its
> members..."
>
> One just wonders how "free financial and administrative services" can
> transform to: (visit guidestar.org)
> [snip entirely reasonable compensation]
> -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC. (visit guidestar.org)

The SFLC is actually separate from the Software Freedom Conservancy,
although they are related. Both SFLC and the Conservancy write grants
and take donations for the administrative part, so that they can aid
open-source software projects. I suspect Eben's involvement is precisely
the reason they can do this.

> (Eben's SFLC compensated underlings aside for a moment) and whether
> you (boost moderators & Co. so to speak) would be able to spend more
> for "future events such as BoostCon, and also to pay for much needed
> infrastructure" without Eben's SFLC involvement.
>
> What's the problem to take donations without SFLC?

To do it legitimately is a paperwork nightmare; to do it any other way
is unconscionable.

  - Doug