From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-07 08:28:21

Kim Barrett wrote:
> At 9:35 PM -0400 7/6/07, Edward Diener wrote:
>> There may also be some Pythonic library way of determine the home
>> directory for any OS without resorting to attempting to hardcode an
>> environmental variable name. I will look for the latter and report it
>> here if I find it.
>
> os.path.expanduser("~")

Yes, but it erroneously looks for the HOME environment variable first,
before looking for the HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH combination. The latter is
always correct on Windows. Looking for HOME first is just plain wrong,
especially as HOME is set for an MSYS ( MingW **ix emulation )
installation on Windows to point to the MSYS home directory.

I brought this up on the comp.lang.python forum yesterday but no one
responded there yet.