From: Jake Voytko (jakevoytko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-17 07:43:37

YMMV, but I think you should simplify things as much as you possibly can for
your 6 year old, if you insist on teaching him now. Getting any kind of
programming done requires abstraction of thought into an algorithm, and most
6 year olds I know live in a world of concretes. Hell, I'm a tutor at my
college, and a lot of 21 year olds have trouble with the concepts of
programming.

You might want to consider Logo, and challenging your kid to draw certain
shapes. Take it incrementally.. challenge him to a square, to a pentagon,
etc. Then, tell him to do a wave that has 10 humps. After he does it the
long way, show him how to use a procedure to do it simpler.

At this stage in development, all you really want to do is get him to think
step-by-step about algorithms, as well as learn basic troubleshooting skills
when he is wrong on his first attempt. As further enticement, show him a
quick and dirty interactive demo in Flash and say that when he's good enough
at Logo, you'll "let him" use Flash so that he can interact with pictures.

Jake