From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-18 02:22:26

Thomas Witt wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> witt_at_[hidden] wrote:
>

>> Can you tell what was fixed/changed? I've just run:
>>
>> cvs diff -r Version_1_34_1_RC2 -r Version_1_34_1_RC3
>>
>> and the only difference is release date in html files.
>> Am I rusty with my cvs skills?
>
> Yes, also the version numbers in the Getting Started document were changed

Hmm, then what is the point of testing RC3? It does not have neither additional
bugs, nor additional fixes relative to RC2.

>> What happened to boost filesystem 'inline' patch? Was the install
>> issue in cygwin resolved?
>
> No to both of them. The time for code changes has long since passed.

That is your pick. But I'd like to point out two things:

1. Both issues were reported in reply to your RC2 announcement. I did not
saw any comment from you on those issues until now, after RC3. If bug reports
for release candidates are silently ignored, what's the point of release
candidates? Is there any point to report possible bugs in RC3 at all, if
"time for code changes has passed"?

2. Those issues are not so minor. Note that quite some effort
was spend on improving cygwin support. In fact, I believe Dave
spent a couple of weeks on Boost.Python cygwin support. After that effort,
releasing 1.34.1 with cygwin not working makes little sense. Note that
boost.filesystem issue means you cannot use convenience.hpp in more
than one module; essentially part of library is not usable in real-world
programs, on all compilers.

- Volodya