From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-18 10:37:22

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Thomas Witt wrote:
>
> Hmm, then what is the point of testing RC3? It does not have neither additional
> bugs, nor additional fixes relative to RC2.

There is more to a release than just code. I might have screwed up packaging/html
generation version numbers and so forth.

> That is your pick. But I'd like to point out two things:
>
> 1. Both issues were reported in reply to your RC2 announcement. I did not
> saw any comment from you on those issues until now, after RC3. If bug reports
> for release candidates are silently ignored, what's the point of release
> candidates? Is there any point to report possible bugs in RC3 at all, if
> "time for code changes has passed"?

See my comment above.

> 2. Those issues are not so minor.

At som point they have to be catastrophic to justify changes. They are not.

> Note that quite some effort
> was spend on improving cygwin support. In fact, I believe Dave
> spent a couple of weeks on Boost.Python cygwin support. After that effort,
> releasing 1.34.1 with cygwin not working makes little sense. Note that
> boost.filesystem issue means you cannot use convenience.hpp in more
> than one module; essentially part of library is not usable in real-world
> programs, on all compilers.

I know, there was a time to spot and fix it. It wasn't fixed. It's sad but as things are
we'll never ship if we try to be perfect.

Thomas

--
Thomas Witt
witt_at_[hidden]