From: Marcus Lindblom (macke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-18 05:34:27

Michael Fawcett wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Marcus Lindblom <macke_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Just imagine, what needs to be done to code up a good game today, like
>> your average MMORPRG or something. :)
>>
>> There are numerous such parts:

[snip]

> Do you not think each of those components is useful enough to be its
> own library? I for one would love a path finding library, a load
> balancing library, state machines (already being worked on in Boost),
> and fuzzy-logic library. There's talk of a Boost Database library as
> well.

Yeah. That's what I meant.

> I agree that a Boost "Game Engine" is not appropriate. What *is*
> appropriate, IMHO, are all the tools necessary to create a good game
> engine. You listed some of them above.
>
>> Consider also, that development hardware is not accessible to Boost
>> (i.e. GameCube, Wii & PS3) because it's very expensive.
>
> I know of of developers that have access to all of those systems, and
> also use Boost.

Yup, but can/would they allow those to be used for testing to support as
official platforms?

> In summary, my enthusiasm is not for an entire Boost game engine, but
> rather to stay in the spirit of Boost, and offer libraries that aid in
> the development of a modern game engine.

Ok. That sounds like a good idea. (as it was pretty much what I was
saying too. :)

However, part of the point I wanted to make is that what makes a game
engine sucessful is not only how good it's components are, but also how
well they integrate and how good the overall design is. But Boost is
known for making components that integrate well into "anything else"
(like the rhubarb pie application, my favourite generic software :), so
that shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,
/Marcus