From: Michael Marcin (mmarcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-18 13:04:54

I have a few concerns at this point on the implementation of the
proposed timers library.

boost/timers.hpp assumes if you are not on windows you are on a posix
system. I'm porting to a different platform which is neither windows nor
posix compatible.

WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN is defined in the windows device headers and then
windows.h is included. This could lead to issues where depending on
order of inclusion in a project WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN could be either
defined or undefined when windows.h is included (and this is certainly
imposing that define on the user).

Include guards in all files begin with the reserved underscore capital
letter combination.

timeGetTime.hpp links against the winmm.lib and is included through a
simple #include <boost/timers.hpp> even though I'm not planning to use
the timeGetTime timer. Might not be a huge deal... I'll probably just
have to avoid the convenience header and do preprocessor platform
switching in my own application.

I don't find the everything and the kitchen sink convenience header to
be very useful for this library. Perhaps providing other convenience
headers and typedefs for platform independent timers like for instance
hires_timer, general_purpose_timer, or slow_polling_timer would be
useful so ugly preprocessor switching logic can be kept out of user
applications.

Thanks,

Michael Marcin