From: Michael Marcin (mmarcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-20 12:19:17

Philippe Vaucher wrote:

> Cheers for your insights. Btw as you seem to work on non-posix and
> non-windows system, can you tell me what timeing API there is on those
> platforms ? Would it make sense to add a "others" namespace where non-posix
> and non-win devices would be ?

I don't think it's necessary. If new platforms are supported such as
BREW or Symbian they probably deserve their own folders rather than
being lumped into other since they cannot use each other's timing
devices but they each have several devices.

Personally all I would do is change the "timers_local_include.hpp" to
<boost/timers/local_include.hpp> (I've done this locally as well).

Then I have a shadow copy of the boost directory in my include path
before the clean copy of boost.

mini-boost/clean/boost

then

mini-boost/{platform}/boost

This allows me to add files and folders and override behavior without
confusing my changes with the original code.

If boost ever wants to officially support Windows Mobile, Symbian, BREW,
etc. then I'll have to rethink how to merge my changes into the mainline.

P.S.

What are the requirements on devices? Do they need to be copyable? Do
they need to start stopped? Do they need to be cheap to pass-by-value? etc.

P.P.S.

Interestingly a typo in my code led me to a timer that used another
timer as its device... funny that timer appears to satisfy the
requirements of the TimingDevice concept.

Thanks,

Michael Marcin