From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-27 15:23:10

Doug Gregor wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
>> Doug Gregor wrote:
>>> * Various developer and release-manager documentation talks about
>>> Boost's CVS, but should now refer to Subversion. Better yet: migrate
>>> this documentation over to the Boost Trac, where it is easier to
>>> maintain and update, and won't be a part of the Boost distribution
>> May I suggest that people also consider migrating documentation to the
>> beta website. Or if you don't feel like directly doing that you can:
>>
>> * Add a page to the wiki with the docs.
>> * Add a ticket to Trac pointing out the wiki page, and
>> requesting to
>> move the content to the beta website (making sure the component is set
>> to "website").
>
> My feeling is that developer-centric documentation should move to the
> Trac Wiki, where it can be easily modified/updated by all of our
> developers.

Hm, I don't think editing the new website is any harder to
modify/update. I worked hard to come up with a structure that makes it
easy. All it takes is the svn access and a text editor. Or if editing
XHTML directly is dreadful to you, there are many "visual" editors out
there that will work.

> It doesn't really need to be on the main web site.

Depends, on what you mean by "developer-centric". Sure we have multiple
audiences but we have to consider that there isn't much difference
between prospective and existing Boost developers. And that making an
explicit distinction between them is likely detrimental to making
prospective devs into active devs. But overall I prefer to have docs in
the svn/website as it allows for better quality control.

> User-
> centric documentation that doesn't need to be in the Boost
> distribution (i..e, most non-library documentation) should move to
> the beta website.

Yep.

> Sound good?

Mostly ;-)