From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-29 22:09:07

Rene Rivera wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>> Peter Dimov wrote:
>>> 'bjam' (or 'bjam --toolset=foo' if the default doesn't work)
>> This now gets into understanding how bjam works. Argh !!!
>
> I don't see why. Peter just mentioned what you could find out by reading
> the Boost Library guidelines, and by running "bjam --help".
>
>> How does one find out the name of the toolset which corresponds to the
>> compiler/version which one wants to test ?
>
> The toolset names are documented in the getting started docs. And the
> version number is irrelevant.

No, this is not true if more than one version of a toolset is installed.
Those cases do happen and one may be forced to use an earlier version.

>> I am assuming that one must look at Boost Build documentation to
>> determine this.
>
> No. Just reading the getting started docs
> <http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started/windows.html#identify-your-toolset>.
> Which you would do if you are a user.

Yes, I see it now. Thanks !

>> However, let us say for VC++, the name msvc only
>> specifies a compiler but not a version. Now one has to investigate how
>> one specifies both a compiler and a version on the bjam command line.
>
> No. The version is irrelevant. And in the case of some toolsets, like
> msvc, detected automatically. You don't need to specify the version if
> you are a user.

See above.

I love it when people say, "you do not need 'that' because everything
works automatically" but do not take into account one's environment
where specifically one does need 'that'.

That is evidently why specifying a version for a compiler appears to be
  missing from the Boost Build docs when calling bjam from the command
line, but I do see the explanation in the Getting Started Guide. Still
it is a guess. Is it, just to take an example, 'msvc-7' or 'msvc-7.0' (
probably the latter ), but I guess I could try both and see what happens.