From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-29 22:21:03

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>> Peter Dimov wrote:

>>> Every end user who is not sure whether his configuration is
>>> supported by a particular library can run the tests. This is
>>> generally done by invoking 'bjam' (or 'bjam --toolset=foo' if the
>>> default doesn't work)
>> This now gets into understanding how bjam works. Argh !!!
>>
>> How does one find out the name of the toolset which corresponds to the
>> compiler/version which one wants to test ?
>
> I'm actually quite sympathetic to your reaction. :-)

Thanks !

> In this case the 'Getting Started' document seems to explain things
> relatively well:
>
> http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started/index.html
>
> and our hypothetical user would probably need to confront bjam earlier or
> later anyway because of filesystem, regex or another useful library that
> requires building.

Yes, I agree. I just wish the explanation for Boost Build v2 were easier
to understand for doing the simple things. I am sure it is a wonderful
system but the explanation for it seems very convoluted to me.

> This whole process will be of course easier if we have a "how do I run the
> tests for a specific library" guide. Khm. You seem to find your way with
> words quite well. (ducks)

In the promulgation of one's escetary cogitation and in the articulation
of one's superficial sentimentalities, one should beware of
platitudinous ponderosities. <g> ( ducks also )

I offered a long time ago to help anyone within Boost writing
documentation in the areas of grammatical structure and good English
usage, but I really have little time, outside of doing my job and
earning a living, to devote myself to writing documentation for others.
As a developer of my own concepts I do feel a responsibility of writing
good documentation, however.