From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-31 21:07:14

Daryle Walker wrote:
> [Did I already suggest something like this?...]
>
> The Wave preprocessing tool can accept locations for a compiler's system
> header files. I think the C++ standard allows the standard headers to
> not be implemented as conventional files. I'm wondering if we can do
> that, as an experiment. In other words, the Wave library could have an
> option to inject our version of idealized renditions of the standard
> headers directly into the token stream, without referencing actual
> header files. This could catch bugs that assume certain things about
> actual header files that wouldn't be present in our version.

While that would certainly work in theory, I don't think this is a very
practical trick: you'd have to rewrite a huge amount of code (the standard
library is big !), and the result would really only be useful to catch
the kind of 'bugs' you are talking about. You wouldn't be able to actually
do much with the code (such as compile it), as each compiler does in fact
have its own version of standard (and not so standard) headers.

Regards,
                Stefan