From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-06 09:17:26

on Thu Sep 06 2007, Vladimir Prus <ghost-AT-cs.msu.su> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:

>> Are you not going to answer that?
>
> Unless SVN 1.5 is compatible with svnmerge in any way, then the fact
> that merge tracking is implemented in SVN 1.5 is rather irrelevant
> to our using or not using of svnmerge. It can as well be said that
> Perforce, svk, bzr, git, monotone and mercurial have merge tracking --
> that's true, but has no bearing to anything. So the only way
> to interpret SVN 1.5 remark is to assume that it's some argument in
> favour of svnmerge.

Surely you don't think that the way you interpreted is the only way to
interpret it? One conclusion one could draw is that it means "we
won't have to worry about any of this after SVN 1.5 is released."

I interpreted it as an incidental remark, since it was preceded with
"incidentally." That usually means, "I'm just putting this
information out there, draw what conclusions you will."

>>> Because then, starting with svnmerge now might not be best idea --
>>> we might as well wait for svn 1.5.
>>
>> What is your argument against using svnmerge.py before svn 1.5 is
>> available?
>
> The fact that interfaces of svnmerge.py and svn 1.5 will be different,
> and any instructions written for svnmerge.py will have to be
> rewritten,

That's not a big deal.

> and that developers will be confused when we switch,

One can surely give people an svnmerge.py that has the same interface
and works by using the svn 1.5 facilities.

> and unless you force everybody to merge all branches right before
> switch to 1.5, you'll have branches that have both svnmerge.py and
> svn 1.5 mergeinfo, and it's doubtfull that either tool will be able
> to handle that.

Then we will be no worse off than if we had never used svnmerge.py for
those branches.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting