From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-06 08:17:48

David Abrahams wrote:

>>> What made you think Beman thought that?
>
> Are you not going to answer that?

Unless SVN 1.5 is compatible with svnmerge in any way, then the fact
that merge tracking is implemented in SVN 1.5 is rather irrelevant
to our using or not using of svnmerge. It can as well be said that
Perforce, svk, bzr, git, monotone and mercurial have merge tracking --
that's true, but has no bearing to anything. So the only way
to interpret SVN 1.5 remark is to assume that it's some argument in
favour of svnmerge.

>>> I'm sure you're right. I don't think anyone thought differently,
>>> though.
>>
>> Because then, starting with svnmerge now might not be best idea --
>> we might as well wait for svn 1.5.
>
> What is your argument against using svnmerge.py before svn 1.5 is
> available?

The fact that interfaces of svnmerge.py and svn 1.5 will be different,
and any instructions written for svnmerge.py will have to be rewritten,
and that developers will be confused when we switch, and unless you
force everybody to merge all branches right before switch to 1.5, you'll
have branches that have both svnmerge.py and svn 1.5 mergeinfo, and it's
doubtfull that either tool will be able to handle that.

- Volodya