From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-09 14:43:16

on Fri Sep 07 2007, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> Rene Rivera wrote:
>>
>>> * Being a release manager is a lot of work because of the size and
>>> scope of Boost.

>>> For 1.35 the release manager is going to face not just fine tuning the
>>> process, but overhauling it. The repository changed, the process is
>>> changing, and the tools are changing. Additionally, from my POV, the
>>> discussions about the new release process don't seem to be progressing
>>> at a quick enough pace. This made me realize it would be unrealistic
>>> for me to devote the need time that being a release manager would
>>> require. So the simple idea is to have a "Release Team" instead of a
>>> "Release Manager" to distribute the work and hopefully smooth out the
>>> attention a release gets. The dynamic would be:
>>
>> The short form of the above is - Its a bigger job than it used to be - we
>> need more people.
>
> The short form is - It will be a bigger job, on average, with each
> release as more "components" are added to Boost.

Part of the reason the moderators have been discussing this in private
is that Boost as a community has been debating our next steps for
months now, and we're not getting any closer to consensus. We need to
get Boost development moving again. Never making a decision about
process would be worse than choosing *any* of the possible plans being
discussed. We (the moderators) are almost ready to post the plans
with which Boost will be moving forward.

This should not be construed as an endorsement or condemnation of
anything being discussed here on the list; it's just a report about
what's coming.

Cheers,

--
Dave Abrahams