From: Ulrich Eckhardt (doomster_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-15 07:32:18

On Thursday 13 September 2007 00:51:08 Tobias Schwinger wrote:
> as you probably know there's a Service Pack for Visual Studio 2005 which
> fixes a significant number of bugs.

Where? I guess most of these are not in the compiler, right?

> Unfortunately _MSC_VER is 1400 for MSVC8 with and without Service Pack,
> so there is no straightforward way for a library to find out whether SP1
> fixes are available or not.

Almost true: _MSC_VER is 1401 for the MIPS cross-compiler used for MS Windows
CE.

> The release notes of that Service Pack mention a fixed bug in the
> preprocessor messing up line counting in certain situations, so it seems
> there could be a way to implement a detection mechanism in the
> preprocessor on top of it...

Hmmm, that would contradict the version being _exactly_ the same (even the
full one), do you have a link handy?

> Solutions anyone?

I might be able to find an installation without service pack in order to diff
the included headers, but not before monday. If the fixes were there, it
should be possible to detect that then.

Uli