From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-03 18:33:11

Gyuszi Suto wrote:
>The polygons need to be formed by union of axis-aligned rectangles,
yes.
>In addition to that, GTL supports 45 degree polygons as well.
>Can GTL intersect a star and a triangle? If both are limited to
>rectilinear or 45 degreee edges, yes,
>otherwise no.

There is the strong possibility that I will be extending the GTL
capabilities beyond 45 degree to allow arbitrary angles with the goal of
providing best in class performance with a generic and productive
interface. As we are all aware, this leads to the need to provide a
mechanism to ensure numerical robustness at considerable cost in
runtime. That mechanism would obviously include a generic interface for
specifying the internal numerical data type to be used by the algorithm,
with a default provided by the library. However, our intention is not
to provide a comprehensive geometry library, which would be too broad in
scope, but rather a starting point for generic geometry that the
community can participate in and extend in the most useful directions.
In looking at the recent submissions to boost related to geometry there
is a fair amount of overlap with our library, particularly in what I
call the basic types such as point2d. The ideal outcome from my point
of view is that we all benefit from a synthesis of ideas and craft a
boost geometry library together that goes beyond the code we will
initially submit and will continue to be enhanced and extended with the
participation of the community over time.

Lucanus Simonson