From: Dave Steffen (dgsteffen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-03 19:42:01

On Wednesday 03 October 2007, Simonson, Lucanus J wrote:
> >John Femiani wrote:
> >> Count me as interested in any attempt at a free generic geometry
> >> library.
> >>
> >> Is this purely 'rectilinear' -- I mean, when you say polygons do you
> >> mean any kind of polygon or only the kinds of polygons formed by the
> >> union of axis-aligned rectangles? Could I find the intersection of a
> >> star and a triangle?
[...]

 Has anyone gone to look at the JTS library
 <http://www.vividsolutions.com/jts/jtshome.htm>? I had a (short)
 opportunity to use it, and quite liked the design. It's Java, so I
 hated everything else. :-)

 However, there's at least one C++ port out there (GEOS:
 <http://geos.refractions.net/>). Possibly-unreliable rumor had it
 that GEOS worked but was a straight Java-to-C++ port, and therefore
 didn't have the performance it could have.

 AFAICT JTS algorithms Do It Right, where "Right" is "fairly close to
 as right as the computational geometry community knows how to make
 it".

 If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd grab it and see what could be
 done. No lottery winnings are likely to come my way, though. So I
 thought you folks in this conversation might be interested in taking
 a look.

--
Dave Steffen, Ph.D.       "I say we invite opportunity inside
Software Engineer IV       for a nice cup of tea, then hit her