From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-04 16:56:06

In doing a postmortem of the past couple of releases with Thomas Witt,
he made a very strong case that testing is a major bottleneck. If
developers and release managers have to wait several days to find out if
a fix works, it slows progress to a crawl.

One of the things we can do to eliminate that bottleneck is to cut the
number of release criteria compilers down to a more manageable number,
and to compilers where testing is very reliably and runs several times a
day.

My candidates for the release criteria compilers are:

* Microsoft VC++ 8.0 on Win32
* Intel 10.0 on Win32
* GCC on Linux
* GCC on Darwin

I've got all of those here, so can verify test results myself if necessary.

I expect people will want to add several others, and that's OK. But for
this first release on our quarterly schedule, let's keep the number down
to be sure we meet our targets.

Comments?

--Beman