From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-07 12:23:52

Jeff Garland wrote:
> Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>
>> I must say I feel very similar.
>>
>> I believe Bemans approach is way too pessimistic. And kinda deminishing to the
>> configuration he has no direct access to ;) How VC 8.0 failure is more
>> critical than let's say gcc on sparc solaris? Assuming that both have similar
>> tester resources.
>
> They haven't typically had similar resources. We've usually had 2-3 VC
> 8 testers and maybe one gcc on solaris.
>
>> What I beliee we need is more objective criteria for what is "release
>> compiler". Specific requirements to number of testers and testing turnaround
>> time comes to mind.
>
> Instead of getting bogged down in trying to define requirements, I think
> we should simply agree on a the 'primary platform list' (essentially
> what Beman is doing). Don't think of this list as release compilers,
> just a good cross section of the platforms that provide a) good testing
> support and b) high standards compliance -- thus minimizing the typical
> hackery needed to port to this compiler. Again, no compiler/platform is
> being excluded from testing and we want library authors and people with
> an interest in a platform to continue to port at their discretion -- but
> I hope by now we'd all agree that bugging authors of new libs to port to
> VC6 and holding the release is a bad policy because it harms more users
> than it helps.

 From an end user's perspective I think it is really important, for a
given release and library of Boost, to know whether or not a particular
compiler is supposed to work for a particular library. The regression
tests do not, unfortunately, always give the end user that information.
While I understand the concern for getting out timely releases of Boost
which are guaranteed to support a subset of highly conformant compilers,
  this way of doing things will only make it even more difficult for
end-users of those compilers which are not part of that subset to
determine whether the latest release of a particular Boost library is
supported when using their compiler.